Kristin’s Best Ma-Po Bean Curd
- 1 lb. silken tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 oz. ground turkey or chicken
- 3 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. hot bean paste
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce or mushroom soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Guilin-style chili sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. cold water
- 2 Tbsp. peanut oil, divided
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 9 oz. fresh spinach or snap pea shoots
- ground Szechwan peppercorns (optional)
Carefully cut bean curd into cubes and drain in a colander for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, blend together hot bean paste, soy sauce, chili sauce and chicken broth. Set aside.
Add 2 Tbsp. peanut oil to a wok heated on high and stir-fry ground meat until cooked through. Remove meat from pan and set aside.
Without washing pan, add remaining 1 Tbsp. peanut oil to wok and stir-fry garlic until fragrant and slightly browned.
Return ground meat to pan. Add sauce mixture, tofu and spinach or shoots.
Bring to a boil, then cover and lower heat to cook greens for 3 to 5 minutes.
Blend cornstarch with water. Remove cover and add, stirring until thickened.
Turn off heat and stir in scallions and sesame oil.
Serve over steamed rice with ground peppercorns on the side, if desired.