Peach/Nectarine Custard PieFor Crust (This makes two 9-10 inch shells or one double crust pie)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) very cold butter cut in small pieces
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 unbaked nine or 10-inch pie shell
- 4-5 large nectarines or peaches, sliced (peeled, if desired)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 large or extra-large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. half-and-half, water, or coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- fresh grated nutmeg to taste
Prepare pie shell
In electric mixer, on lowest speed, combine flour, butter and coconut oil just until pea-size crumbs form. Do not overmix!
With mixer at lowest speed, drizzle in the ice water and mix just until a ball of dough forms.
Flour surface and rolling pin liberally, and roll out dough until it forms a circle 2 inches larger than the edge of the pie pan.
Carefully place dough in pan being careful not to stretch it into the corners. Fold overhanging dough under itself at the edge of the pan and flute it decoratively.
Fill the pie shell with sliced nectarines or peaches, decoratively.
Sprinkle with fresh lemon juice.
Whisk together eggs, sugar, half-and-half and flour, and pour over the slices.
Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F and bake for approximately 20 minutes more.
Cool and serve.
Do not freeze!